FEDERAL HIGH COURT ISSUES ULTIMATUM FOR TOMPOLO’S ARREST


 
Published on : Feb 08, 2016 11:24:46 | Posted by : Eka
 
 

A Nigerian court on Monday set another deadline date for the arrest of previous Niger Delta activist leader Government Ekpemupolo, after he again neglected to face theft and money laundering charges.

Judge Ibrahim Buba said Ekpemupolo, popularly known as “Tompolo”, had “refused to honour an invitation for investigation”. “A new order for his arrest is hereby given,” he added. *Tompolo Ekpemupolo is one of 10 defendants, including a former head of Nigeria’s maritime security agency, named on a 40-count indictment brought by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Get a blind date on Ogbonefriends NOW!

He is one of the most high-profile former leaders of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) that attacked oil and gas facilities in the oil-rich south in the 2000s.

He is confronting 14 counts charge of robbery and money laundering somewhere around 2012 and a year ago totaling over $175 million (157 million euros). Judge Buba had already requested Ekpemupolo's arrest on January 14 however the respondent's legal advisor, Tayo Oyetibo, guaranteed in court on Monday he had not been appropriately presented with the summons. He was overruled and requested to deliver his client in court on February 19. Prosecutor Festus Kayemo told AFP the new high court order had triggered a nationwide search for Ekpemupolo to ensure his arrest and appearance in court.

READ: NIGERIA'S GDP TO RISE TO $2 TRILLION

“The accused and his legal team should realise that there is a new sheriff in town who abhors impunity,” he added. “(Former president Goodluck) Jonathan created outlaws and untouchables in the system. (Current President Muhammadu) Buhari is out to dismantle all that.” Fear of a backlash by former militants in the Niger Delta may be behind the failure to arrest the powerful Ekpemupolo, according to observers tracking the case. Supporters of the former MEND commander are believed to have been behind a series of attacks on pipelines in the south last month, prompting fears of a fresh round of unrest. The rebels, who were fighting for a fairer share of oil revenue in Africa’s number one crude producer, laid down their arms as part of a government amnesty programme introduced in 2009. Some, including Ekpemupolo, went on to be awarded lucrative government security contracts to protect the oil and gas facilities they once attacked. But it is alleged such agreements were often used as a front to steal money. The amnesty programme, which involved monthly stipends for training and education, is gradually being wound down.

 
unknown